IT Director - downloadable job description template
This IT Director job description template is free to download and use. It's in an editable Microsoft Word format and no signup is required. N.B. Each role is different so you will need to change the document to make it specific to your own circumstances. It should be a good starting point though.
What does an IT Director do?
IT directors ensure that internal technology operations run effectively and smoothly, although beyond that job descriptions vary considerably. In general, they seek out new technological options and ensure that they are integrated into the existing technology stack, they oversee the maintenance of these systems and services on an ongoing basis, and also make sure that their internal IT operation is well-resourced and well-staffed. IT directors help set policy and meet governance requirements relating to business technology, particularly when it comes to risk and cybersecurity, where they might work alongside the chief information security officer (CISO).
For more detailed information, follow this link.
IT Director template content
Job Profile: Senior management and leadership role of the IT Department & all IT services. Responsibility for developing the IT plan, to support the Group business plan. Manages all IT activity including client services, product and service development, metrics & KPIs, infrastructure, applications, security, development of new technical solutions and project delivery.
Reporting to: CEO
- Development of an integrated IT strategy to enable and support the Group plan.
- Translation into an effective tactical implementation plan across Group including KPIs
- Develop and maintain standards for IT service delivery plans and deliver release cycles for key systems, in line with relevant standards
- Work with the Operations Board to develop effective IT solutions to business opportunities
- Development of the IT elements of business continuity and risk management plans.
- Communicate the IT plan to the business and occasionally to clients
- Lead the IT department and ensure the team is aligned with the group’s vision, mission, values and strategic priorities.
- Work proactively with the Operations Board providing technical recommendations and identifying IT risks and opportunities
- Define, refine and report on KPIs to measure IT service and performance including feedback from key users
- Develop and manage IT budget in line with Group IT Strategy
- Lead on the development of, maintenance of and compliance with IT specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Deliver IT improvements projects at all levels, with particular focus on projects with high risk or business impact
- Deliver a high-quality IT service, both within the company and to all customers, based on the developed service level agreements
- Ensure compliance of systems with relevant legislation
- Negotiate and manage IT service contracts
- Oversee the implementation and delivery of IT security and contribute to ISO 270001 certification.
- Direct responsibility for the personal development of all the IT function team members
- Create a positive, productive, team culture and environment
- Positively communicate company visions, values, priorities and targets
- Ensure staff appraisals are completed in line with HR policy
- Ensure that the objectives of team members are meaningful, in line with business strategy and regularly reviewed
- Develop staff through experience and formal training.
- Coach and mentor staff
- Provide regular feedback to direct reports, celebrating good practice and addressing and managing areas of under performance
- Ensure all have comprehensive personal development plans, linked to their individual objectives
- Develop a strong sense of co-operation and teamwork with a focus on common business goals and KPIs
- Establish effective succession planning within IT
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with experience of managing an IT team, preferably at Senior Manager or Director level
- Experience of implementing and managing a large-scale ERP solution.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation and guidelines around computerised systems.
- Broad understanding of IT in distribution and manufacturing sales businesses and the IT support required
- Experience of overseeing the implementation and delivery of IT security and contribute to ISO 270001 certification.
- Effective communicator and relationship builder – Clear concise written and spoken, ability at all levels, customer, supplier and internal
- Strategic agility – recognition of a changing need and speed of response, rapid reaction to challenges
- Driven by results – Decisive, confident addressing problems and opportunities, challenging activities to improve performance, demonstrate willingness to challenge accepted methods and standards
- Action orientated – Able to deal with problems in appropriate time frames
- High standards – demonstrating a motivation to improve standards and thereby making a real difference, challenging inadequate solutions