Tips for completing the IKM technical assessment
Many of our clients choose to use IKM assessments as part of their recruitment process. This is a multiple choice technical assessment that takes, on average, between 45 and 60 minutes to complete. You should expect to have to tackle between 30 and 50 questions; each of these questions takes time to read, and to answer.
Why have I been asked to complete a technical assessment?
- It’s useful for our client to have insight into your technical skills ahead of interview. The IKM test gives them a detailed breakdown of how well you performed in each subject area, so they know where to focus their questioning.
- If you are interviewing for a senior position, the role itself may not be technically hands on. But undoubtedly you will still have to work closely with technical people and have some familiarity with their technical environment. This is not a ‘pass/fail’ test but it does provide our client with insight into how well you can apply the knowledge you have gained throughout your career.
- Our clients take the results of these tests seriously. Often they use them as a guide to further interview questioning, but they will also reject candidates who do badly.
How to tackle the multiple choice IKM test
- Find a quiet space where you will not be disturbed. We recommend using a PC or laptop rather than a mobile phone.
- It's very important to read the instructions carefully. The test is very sensitive and there are certain actions that can result in the test being suspended, such as:
- using the ‘back’ button on your browser (it's safest not to use your keyboard at all);
- skipping too many questions overall;
- skipping more than 3 questions in a row;
- taking too long over a question; or
- answering questions too quickly!
- After you have started – read the question and all the options in full before considering the answer. They can be quite detailed, and you will need a pen and paper at times.
- As a rule, there are most commonly 3 out of 5 answers that are correct. Sometimes it is 2, and occasionally it is 1. If a question asks for ‘the best way’ to do something, it is looking for a single answer.
- The answers can sometimes be worked out with a little knowledge combined with some common sense.
- If you are not certain of the answer to a question, make your best guess / guesses. You will get partial credit for an answer that is nearly right. If you can’t decide between two or three of the options, it’s usually worth selecting both or all three, as you will receive credit for the correct answer and won’t be penalised much if your incorrect answer is nearly right.
- Remember that our client has seen your CV and will know if you are either not technically hands on, or do not have experience in some areas of technology. Don’t think of it as a pass/fail assessment; the breakdown of skills is more important than the overall score.
About the IKM test
The tests adapt to your ability. If you’re doing well, you will receive harder questions. If you’re doing less well, the questions will get easier. After a while the test finds your level, and by the end you will almost certainly consider that the test has been difficult.
There are hundreds of standard tests in the bank, but our clients often create their own by combining sub-topics from a number of different tests. We’ll send you a list of sub-topics that the test contains if you would like to see this.You will see the following instructions when you log in to complete the test:
- Each question may have up to three correct answers.
- You may select up to three answers for each question.
- Skip a question if you have no idea of the correct answer.
- If you are able to narrow down the answers to two reasonable choices, you will always get some credit if you select them both and at least one is correct.
- YOU MAY NOT GO BACK TO A QUESTION ONCE IT IS ANSWERED OR SKIPPED.
- Answering correctly is much more important than answering quickly.
- For each individual question, time will not be tracked until the question is presented in your web browser.
- Once the test begins, you must directly proceed through the test until completion.
- You should only use your mouse or touch pad to answer questions. Using other key strokes (in addition to the CTRL key or BACK button) may result in a violation causing test suspension or cancellation.
So in summary: take it seriously, follow the instructions, read the questions carefully, and apply common sense.
P.S. Here's a link to our popular blog on this topic.
P.P.S. Here's a link to the advice we give to clients who are setting an IKM test.
STRATEC Biomedical has experienced considerable growth over the last 18 months, with a 50% increase in headcount. Blues Point were our first choice when it came to filling the new vacancies created and provided an excellent array of candidates … Read More
We would highly recommend Blues Point for their professional, efficient and dependable service. We know that we can rely on them to produce high quality candidates for our IT roles. If we take time out of a manager’s calendar … Read More
Alex provided an excellent service when I needed to recruit permanent software developers with a specific skill-set. He was able to provide a lot of added value, for example by performing some first round interviews using Competency Based Interview … Read More
Throughout the process, they were extremely accommodating, listened to our feedback, reacted in a timely manner and made the process very easy. For us they found the right person for the right role and at the right time! We … Read More
Blues Point is a first-class recruitment partner for Juriba: the staff are professional, approachable and resourceful. They have a knack for getting right to the heart of your requirements, and filtering CVs accordingly. Their technical tests provide extra assurance, … Read More
I engaged Blues Point after they were recommended to me by a colleague in the industry. They came over to talk about our situation and it was clear that they understood not only our technical requirements, but the business implications … Read More
Blues Point’s service offering is more than just recruitment; they supply us with technical testing services, advice on market conditions and salary information, and they continue to support the staff that they have placed with us. Blues Point really seem … Read More
I found the test to be difficult but not impossible, and it correctly identified my technical strengths – and weaknesses! Overall, it seemed very fair, and the results document is a good thing to show at future interviews.
Blues Point ensured that we hired the right person for our business, who was both technically strong, but more importantly, has the right behaviours to lead and motivate the development team. Sourcing the right candidate within a short timeframe, … Read More
Team Rewards chose Blues Point as our recruitment partner after a recommendation from one of our own clients. After our initial meeting Blues Point quickly took ownership of our project to recruit into the team, and they delivered to … Read More
I began my relationship with Blues Point after our preferred recruitment partner failed to pre-screen candidates thoroughly. This resulted in the hiring of a candidate with a lack of relevant skills to complete the tasks that he was assigned … Read More
We do our own recruitment but supplement it by purchasing these tests from Blues Point. They do help the process, and are a cost-effective way of reducing the time we spend doing technical interviews. They are a very useful … Read More
Blues Point are very good at understanding our business, our projects, our vacancy requirements, and our culture. I have been consistently impressed with their professionalism, their honesty, their attitude, and their results. The assignments we give them are never … Read More
Blues Point have provided us with their technical testing services for a number of roles now, and they also put candidates through them as part of their normal process. These technical tests are invaluable! We use them when we … Read More
We incorporated the IKM TeckChek tests into our recruitment process in order to validate a candidate’s technical skill set. The tests were easy to implement and results were delivered quickly, allowing the Hiring Managers to reduce risk and confirm the … Read More
We recruit technical roles through Blues Point, and all candidates now take the appropriate test before we interview them. The tests definitely add something to the process and they are a good indicator of a candidate’s actual technical ablility. … Read More
Kerry Foods have been a client of Blues Point for a number of years enabling the recruitment of several members staff into the IT team. The latest recruitment was my first experience of using Blues Point’s services and through … Read More